Tuesday, November 28, 2006

I spent Monday and Tuesday in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit). It was boring, and kinda sad - except for when a new mom and dad came in and got to touch their babies, and the dad (a big BIG) man was so sweet.

We discussed something interesting in class yesterday that I didn't even know about. Apparently, Orthodox Jews wait longer before going to the hospital. I mean, I always new to wait as long as you can before you go, but apparently it's a Jewish thing... Italians will go at the first sign of labor. My teacher was saying that when she practiced as an L&D nurse she would look around and see who to care for first. She was like, "You know, if a woman's still smiling I knew that it wasn't such a rush. But if there was an orthodox Jewish woman, sitting there with a smile on her face like all is well, I knew this woman needs a room right away, she's gonna have a baby really soon."

One is not more right then the other - Jews would rather be relatively comfortable at home and be in and out of Labor and Delivery, whereas Italians would rather settle in to their L&D room. Who knew?

1 comments:

heimishinbrooklyn said...

Interesting. But aren't we just following doctor's orders? He tells us to go to the hospital when contractions are close together. He doesn't tell that only to the Jews, does he?