Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Who are you?

That was my issue when I was in Israel for the year. You don’t want to answer that question the typical way, “I’m a nurse/lawyer/CPA. I’m so-and-so’s daughter/wife/mother. I live where ever.” So, how does one answer that question?

The question cannot be answered. However, after hours of pondering this question, I believe that who a person “is” is a collection of his or her actions and reactions. How a person behaves, and how a person reacts to other’s behavior is their essence.

Any alternative answers?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe that thing that defines the bulk of someone's conciousness. The workoholic lawyer would be justified in answering "I am a lawyer," whereas a pious jewish person would conceivably answer "I am a Jew," and a woman who's temping as a receptionist, but who's thoughts are always on her children might say "I am a mother."
Or, since judaism maintains that one's parents are given a certain amount of Divine Inspiration when naming their children, i would say that someone's name might contain the essence of his essence. I am Tzvi.

Anonymous said...

I"m not quite skilled enough to make something as advanced as Wacky Mac. I'm safer cooking the noodles, then melting a slice of american cheese on it in the microwave. I almost never burn it this way. I barely even have bachelor-level food-preparation skills. Thank goodness for sandwhiches. Minna, *never* leave town.

I am Tzvi, and i am Not a Chef.

jewchick said...

While I see what you guys are saying, I have to disagree - For a while, my answer to my self was exactly what Tzvi said - what bothers me about that is the lack of uniqueness. Hey, "I'm a Jew." so is almost everyone else I know.
Shosh - I thought that for a while to, but what do thought help if you don't act on them? I can think about excersizing every day, but if I don't do it, I'm lazy. And, yes - if you throw his sub in his face - even if you're someone who would never think of doing that - you ARE someone who would do it.

jewchick said...

(And believe it or not, I love wacky mac - Tzvi's not such a fan)