Thursday, May 04, 2006

Academic Integrity

Please, tell me if you think this is fair:
My nursing teacher gave us an online quiz, to take at home, on our own time, sometime over the next week. Then she sent us an email saying she expects academic integrity from all of us, no friends, no books. This is a class that means a lot to everyone taking it, which means no one would ever do anything that could make them fail, but she could never know. I mean, I guess if she see's that you took an hour to take a 16 question quiz, but that's it. So, is it fair of her to expect academic integrity?


Truth is, the quiz was pretty easy, I just think it was wrong of her to ask. I remember in high school, if anyone ever wanted us to do anything at home, they automatically made it open book... because they knew at least some people would do it anyways...

Asking for academic integrity on quiz taken at home gives the dishonest people an unfair advantage.

4 comments:

AlanLaz said...

Is the class curved?

jewchick said...

No curve.

AlanLaz said...

If the class isn't curved, your grade won't be effected by those without academic integrity.

jewchick said...

Yes, it's true that my grade wont be affected by their cheating, but my grade will be less then theirs - there are only a certain number of graduate programs around here, everyone's applying to the same ones. So, my grade wont be affected - my class standing is.