Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Women's Vote

I'm in class now. Yes - I'm in class and blogging, but I'm blogging about class, so I guess I'm kinda paying attention. We're learning Women's History, watching a documentary about Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony.

Imagine being in Seneca Falls. Stanton reads the changed declaration of independence, to include women, and adds a "Bill of Rights," including the right for women to vote. What is your reaction? Wouldn't you think there would be cheers for this idea?

There weren't. There was mumbling. Everyone there thought she was crazy. Even the women who helped put together the Seneca Falls Convention for Women's Rights. Mott, one of these women, said, "Lizzie, you'll make a fool of us." The person who backed her up in this declaration was Fredrick Douglas, former slave.

Can you imagine? People really thought she was crazy to ask that women should vote! It was another 75 years before this right was given. It's impossible for me to understand Here are these women, getting together to fight for women's rights, and they think she's crazy...

0 comments: